Monday, March 13, 2006

He Knew!

I rarely ever cry. I can almost distinctly remember when I have cried in my life it is so rare. Not because I am trying to be macho but it really takes alot for me to cry.
~I was returning to school and began to think of something. I listened to the Passion of the Christ soundtrack (instrumental) and I got to the tracks of the actual nailing and death of Christ and finally the last track titled resurrection. Then I remembered the movie and one distinct feature came to my mind. When Jim Caviezel (Jesus) is carrying the cross after being beaten ( now this is the part in the movie where he grabs the cross for the first time and is about to walk the Via Dolorosa) he grabs the cross and smiles. Smiles??!! Not smiles in a giddy way, but a comforted smile, in a way we can hardly understand. Then it hit me harder than ever before.....He knew.

Matthew 16: 21--"From that time on Jesus began to explain to his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things at the hands of the elders, chief priests and teachers of the law and that he must be killed and on the third day be raised to life."

(Cross reference: Mark 8:31, Luke 9:22)


What is most intriguing is the fact that Jesus early on in his ministry explained his death, but not only his death but the pain, suffering, and ultimate rejection that he was prepared to endure. He was preparing his disciples for his coming suffering, his eventual death and resurrection. It almost was like softening the on-coming blow they were to recieve., but He knew.

Jesus knew the pain was coming so much that He asked His Father if He was willing to take this cup from him. (Lk. 22:42)
He knew with what intensity--flogging, mocking, spitting
He was God incarnate, of course He knew. He was a man, of course He knew it would hurt. Jesus like others in this time period knew what flogging was, knew what happened to people who the Sanhedrin deemed a threat. (For examples look at the final passages of Jesus' discussion with the Sanhedrin, or Acts 4)

Look at this next passage:

Mark 10:32-34--"Again He took the 12 aside and told them what was going to happen to him. We are going up to Jerusalem, he said, and the Son of Man will be betrayed to the chief priests and teachers of the law. they will condemn him to death and will hand him over to the Gentiles, who will mock him, and spit on him, flog him and kill him. Three days later he will rise."
(cross reference-Mt. 20:17-19, Lk. 18:31-33)

Jesus was very clear--I will be betrayed ( to whom?) the chief priests and teachers of the law. ( what will they do?) condemn me to death and hand me over to the Gentiles
( Romans--what will they do?)--mock me, and spit on me, flog me, and then kill me. (so then what happens after all this Rabbi?) In 3 days I will rise!

The clip in the Passion gives us as people a visual of what Christ is telling us in these and many other verses. That He knew, yet even knowing He still did it for you!

THE POINT:
Jesus spoke frequently to his disciples about what was going happen. Why? Because He knew what was coming, and wanted to comfort the ones who didnt. Just like the disciples we dont know what is coming. We cant look past the next minute, hour, day nor week.
The most comforting part of all these passages is when Jesus declares that he will rise in 3 days. Stop and just think. Maybe pop in the Passion of the Christ and just look at Jesus' bloody face, beaten body, bloody thorns, and think He smiles because He knows what comes next!
Be blessed!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home